How to gain a Security Guard and/or Private Investigators license through Ontario Security Training
Who can apply for a Security license?
To eligible to apply for a security license, you must:
- be 18 years of age or older.
- be eligible to work in Canada.
- not have one of the 83 designated offences that will prohibit you from gaining a license. (please visit our resource centre link for more details)
Security license training and testing requirements
- Before you apply for a security license or private investigation license, you must complete the 40 hour Ontario Security Training course to receive a training number.
- You must then book a security licensing Exam at a drive test centre with your training number. The exam fee is $60 plus tax
- After successfully completing your exam, you must apply for your Security License at a cost of $80 tax included. You will only need to do the security training once in your lifetime.
How to apply for a Security Guard license and/or Private Investigator license
- You can apply for a license by mail or online through ServiceOntario.
- You will be able to check the status of your application online within two business days.
- Applicants will be able to access a printable digital license as soon as their application is approved. The printed digital license can be used as proof of licensing until you receive your plastic license card by mail.
Notice: Service Ontario does not accept applications for security guard or private investigator licenses at its service counters.
- A correctly completed online application can take as little as 2 days to process and received by email.
- Your new license will expire two birthdays after the day it is issued (two years) and will only cost $80.
Guards and Investigators must carry a valid license at all times while on duty. Security Guards must identify themselves and show the front of their license to anyone who asks to see it. This includes employers, Police Officers and any member of the public.
Notice: all links listed below are not publications of Ontario Security Training Inc. but that of the municipal, provincial and federal government websites. Ontario Security Training Inc. is a private corporation that acts to serve the Ontario security industry. For assistance please call (416) 212 - 1650