Gaining a security guard and private investigation licence through Ontario Security Training.
Who can apply for a licence
To be able to apply for a licence:
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must be eligible to work in Canada.
- You must not have one of the 83 designated offences that will prohibit you from gaining a licence. (please visit our resource centre link for more details)
Basic training and testing requirements
- Before you apply for a licence, you must take the security guard or private investigator training course with Ontario Security Training and pass a government test at Serco DES Inc. Please note that Serco DES Inc. is a private security business. A $60 plus tax fee and any rewrites must be paid to Serco DES Inc. Serco DES Inc. is also a security service provider based in the United Kingdom.
How to apply for a security guard and/or private investigator licence
- Contact a student services representative at Ontario Security Training
- Complete the security guard and/or private investigator application form. Applicants may visit an Ontario Security Training location for assistance. All passport photographs and photocopies are free of charge to all members.
- A correctly completed application can take between as little as 7 days to be processed.
- Your new licence will expire two birthdays after the day it is issued (two years) and will only cost $80.
- Security guards and private investigators must carry a valid licence at all times while on duty. Security guards must identify themselves and show the front of their licence to anyone who asks to see it. This includes employers, police and members of the public.
©Copyright 2013, System Developed by CanDev Systems Inc.